Friday 15 March 2019

Our Introductions.

Until now we have only left our reviews on social media and on book suppliers websites (Amazon, Kobo, Kindle.)

Since I was very young I have loved to read. Befoe I was 10 I had read so many classics, Watership Down, The Hobbit, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess. Then in the June before I turned 10 Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone was released and it just made my love of books grow. I couldn't wait for the next one, then the next one after that. Over time I found a love of series of books. Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Matched, Maze Runner, Gone. I would read everything and anything not just those in a series. As I grew up I just added more and more books to my collection.

Thousands of books later and I added a whole new genre to my collection. Children's literature.


When Charlotte was born I knew I wanted her to have the same love of books as I did. The first few weeks were hard. Sleep deprivation, screaming newborn, and recovering from a c-section. It did get easier though and we were able to relax and her library grew fast.


This was her favourite book for a while. I made sure we had a bedtime story every night. Picture books with only a few words would keep her attention most of the time. Sometimes I would read my own books aloud and she would just lay on my chest soaking it all in. The older she got the bigger the books became. When she was 4 years old we started our first chapter book at bedtime. It was only short, something I would have probably read in one sitting but I was getting her used to stopping and remembering what had happened the next day so we could continue.

It was almost a year ago Charlotte came to me and asked if we could read Harry Potter at bedtime. I could have cried. I had waited for the time when I was able to share the books with her. She had seen the movies but the books are more intense I think. We sped through the first 3 books and then I decided we would take a break. I was a little worried that Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire would be too much for her. She wasn't quite 6 years old at that point and so we picked different books for a while. By the beginning of 2019 she would ask to carry on reading after I had finished reading and so she would have another book on the go for when I had finished on a night she would carry on reading for another half an hour or so. This has helped with her school reading too. I couldn't be more proud. This week we started on Harry potter and the Goblet of Fire and I forgot how much it talks about murder in the first chapter, Charlotte seemed fine with it and so we will continue.

So we are up to date on where we are now. I will be adding my reviews of the books I have read recently over the next week or 2 and I will have Charlotte tell me what she has thought of the books she has been reading too.

Thanks for joining us on our reading journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Synopsis: When Tess Durbeyfield is driven by family poverty to claim kinship with the wealthy D'Urbervilles and seek a portion of thei...